The Department of Education falls under the College of Education. Rather than being a typical subject, Education is a true academic scholarship that deals with values and asks the question of what must be learned to become a teacher.
Although we provide courses covering both academic and practical aspects of teaching, we are aware of the practical constraints of implementation. We strive to prepare qualified teachers through the collaboration of professors and students. This department will continue to lead by example at the College of Education.
|December 31, 1975||Department of Education established|
|December 5, 1979||Masters degree courses began|
|November 11, 1980||Graduate School of Education masters degree research program began|
|December 4, 1981||PhD courses began|
Students who have graduated from the Department of Education are currently working in various fields. Just like the saying that “Wherever there are people, there is education,” students are entering many different sectors of society. Most graduates go on to work as teachers in secondary schools while some go on to become educational consultants and lifelong educators. Others find employment at corporate training centers, education research centers, and various social education institutions.
Please note that when students complete minors, (Korean, English, History, Ethics, etc.) or double majors, they can be appointed to teach in either or both fields. Students can become education specialists by diligently completing their courses. Many graduates have become experts in fields such as counseling, public relations, planning, and labor management while others have found work in the press, public corporations, and the academic sector.
- Seoul National Univ. Educational Administration
Kim Sang Sup,Professor
- Westfaelische Wilhelms - Univ. Munster Educational Philosophy
Gim, Chaechun ,Professor
- Univ. of California, Los Angeles School Curriculum
- Seoul National Univ. educational counseling
- Univ. Bremen Special Education
- Pennsylvania State Univ. Educational Technology
- Seoul National Univ. Lifelong Education, Sociology of Educaiton
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Education
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- UNDERSTANDING THE PRINCIPLES OF ECONOMICS
- By introducing students to the very basic economic principles, this course purpose to enhance student's ability analyze and synthetically understand the mode of human behavior in its economic aspects as well as the economic system. Detailed subjects to be dealt with in this course are as follows : the native and purpose of economics, the theory of demand and supply and its applications, the theory of consumers’and firms’behavior, the theory of competitive markets, monopoly, monopolistic competition, and oligopoly, etc.
- FOUNDATIONS OF EDUCATION
- This course is an introductory course in Education for prospective teachers, regardless of their major and/or special subjects. This is one of the necessary requirements for teacher candidates being educated in colleges other than the college of education in Korea. The course is to study the various paradigms and concepts of education, representing different views on aim, contect and method of educaiton. A particular emphasis is given to identifying theoretical questions of education in order to grasp the problems of Korean education and finding out their solution.
- LAW OF LIFE
- This course is designed to introduce students fundamental legal concepts and skills which are useful in relating various legal troubles arising in our daily life. This curriculum deals with major cases relating to civil law, commercial law, criminal law, and constitutional law.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
- Psychological aspects of education will be discussed at the level of introduction, including cognitive, affective, social and moral development, the measurement and evaluation of educational tests such as intelligence, aptitude, motivation, and learning. It is one of the requirements of education major.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- PREVENTION OF SCHOOL VIOLENCE AND UNDERSTANDING OF SCHOOL CULTURE
- Students will acquire an understanding of the various factors, actual state, the legislative system of school violence. Students will have an opportunity to relate this knowledge about prevention and measures of school violence to school environment using students guidance, parents interview, and human lights education. This information about violence behavior, student cultures, counseling methods, and the implications that social and contemporary legislative policies play will create greater understanding in the field of school violence.
- EDUCATIONAL SOCIOLOGY
- The main focus of this course is on the relationships between school and society. The course will pursue the major findings and issues in the Sociology of Education by looking at sources of educational change, the impact of schooling on social mobility, determinants of educational contents, and contemporary policy issues.
- HISTORY OF EDUCATION
- This is the introductory course in the history of education. This course deals with the historical development of educational systems and the educational thoughts developed in the East and West, in order to understand the realities of the contemporary education and go into the alternatives for the future education.
- THEORIES AND PRACTICES OF STUDENT COUNSELING
- This course is a blended learning course. The theoretical lecture is based on the remote lecture. It covers the basics of school counseling, the developmental characteristics of elementary and junior high school students, the ethics of teachers, the process and technology of individual counseling, , Family counseling, crisis intervention, thematic intervention strategy, psychological examination, career counseling, etc. In the lecture class, students will practice and experience necessary topics in order to learn the actual practice of student counseling. They will practice and experience learning by focusing on learning and career, and practice designing and carrying out short-term counseling PBL. Through this, a model of personal counseling is designed, and the ideal counseling process is conceived and practiced.
- UNDERSTANDING OF FIELD EDUCATION
- This course addresses fundamental concepts, historical backgrounds, and varied schooling systems with a view to correct understanding. Based on this fundamental knowledge, students examines various aspects of current schooling practice in a real schooling context.
- USE OF COMPUTER IN CLASS
- The Internet is not only a useful media for educational contents but also educational resources containing abundant materials. Thus using the Internet appropriately in a educational setting can increase educational effectiveness. This course introduces and addresses varies ways of how to utilize the Internet in schooling including class.
- THEORIES OF LEARNING AND INSTRUCTION
- This is a course Which deals with theories of teaching and learning, an essential part of educational activity. Teaching theories are on how we should teach children whereas learning theories are on how human beings learn as they grow. The course is strongly recommended to take for students who will become teachers, and for those who have a curiosity on learning theories. The course reviews behaviorists such as B. F. Skinner and R. Gagne; cognitive-developments such as J. Piaget and L. Vygotsky; and social-contexualists such as A. Bandura and B. Weiner.
- CAREER DESIGN AND FIELD TRAINING
- This course provides systematic and continuous consultation and guidance on the achievements and career of CRM (Career Road Map) designed by the students after admission. The course is also designed to enhance the students’ field education capacity to actively cope with the educational environment in the rapidly changing circumstances, the knowledge based society of the 21st century and the society for the fourth industrial revolution. Through this course, students will experience field training such as special lectures, video materials, and multicultural education in accordance with their career and major.
- DATA SCIENCE & EDUCATION
- This subject deals with data science, which is a specialized domain to analyze and utilization data. The innovative change of society through big data, which is one pillar of the 4th industrial revolution, leads to new data business and makes modern knowledge-based society. It is the result of social network services (SNS) through various Internet and mobile technologies. But as information and knowledge is generated by the analysis and utilization of accumulated data, it can be called as data-based society before knowledge-based one. Now, numerous data being generated endlessly every moment change our society and lives, according to how they are analyzed and utilized. Data science is a domain that is applied to various problem solving by data analysis and with insight. Varied kinds of educational problems too often occur, producing lots of related data. Education is thus a domain data science can apply. Data science is a mixed domain demanding not only math and statistics but humanities and social sciences. The reason is why the results of data science are closely related with complex higher level of human behaviors, including value judgement, decision-making, problem solving, etc. The fact that improving the higher level of human behavior is the purpose of education indicates that data science is positive to solve varied educational problems. Data science is a relatively new and promising domain that social needs increase steadily. With this subject, learners are able to cultivate basic and essential knowledge and competency of data science and become valuable human resource modern society needs.
- EDUCATION AND WESTERN THOUGHTS OF ETHICS
- The students in the course will study western thoughts of ethics and issues with regard to ethical problems. The major thoughts with which will be dealt are that of Platon, Aristoteles, Stoic School, Epicurean School. Utillitarianism, Kant, Dewey, Emotivism, etc. Also, the students will research into some aspects of education and moral education, for example, the conceptions of good life and educational aims, and the major concepts of morality and moral education such as justice, freedom, free will.
- EDUCATIONAL EVALUATION
- This course emphases on the relations between school learning and appropriate types of evaluation. It includes theories of reliability and validity, achievement test construction, and interpretation of test results. Introduction to modern theories of measurement techniques and instruments for cognitive, affective and psycho-motor domain; practical introduction to the techniques of tests, such as construction of tests, scoring, reliability, validity, and item analysis.
- EDUCATIONAL PLANNING AND START-UP
- This course is designed to reinforce the capacity of planning in the field of education and to find and develop work that can be found in the field of education. Through this course, students will be able to practice the whole process of planning required in the field of education, improving abilities for planning educational projects and programs, and competences in the whole process of finding new start-up items. In this course, students will learn the necessities and procedures of planning work through hands-on practice, and they will conduct PBLs to discover new cases of education start-up and develope new items in teams.
- ETHICAL THOUGHTS AND EDUCATIONAL HUMAN
- This course is designed to explore the characteristics and tasks of educative human beings who perform teaching and learning activities for life. Teaching and learning for human beings is one of the essential components of life. In this sense, human beings can be regarded as educative beings. This lecture focuses on exploring and understanding the characteristics of educative human beings based on various academic studies of classical and contemporary in the East and the West.
- MORAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY
- In this lecture, as a psychological foundation of morality and moral education, we understand the various theories of moral developmental psychology and think about subjects of various life related to moral with students. Through on-line lectures and offline activities, the students will discuss the human aspects based on morality through the experiences and problems of our everyday life in the present society. By doing so, we can understand what ethical behavior is and what it is doing ethically. You will explore based on the field. Through activities in offline, students will experience a new moral education that is different from the moral education that is usually given at the school site. Based on the ideas and learned from these inquiries and discussions, This is an experience that will be developed and demonstrated by a group of short moral instructional classes that promote learning.
- THE FOURTH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION AND GLOBAL EDUCATION
- This course addresses varied problems and important issues that happened and would happen in real educational contexts worldwide. Because some problems and issues are essential to understand education precisely, students need deal with them. By taking this course, students will be able to develop profound insight into education and field practice.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- EDUCATION FIELD RESEARCH METHOD
- The course addresses educational statistics analyzing educational phenomena quantitatively and educational research methodology conducted in educational settings for practices of school field, the purpose of which is to help students solve educational problems. Students will be able to learn literature review, research design, measurement of variables, data collection and its statistical procedures and analysis, report writing, and so on.
- EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION
- This is an introductory course of Educational Administration. The course concentrates on establishing foundations of educational administration by studying the theories and practices of educational administration comprehensively. The concept, characteristics, areas and approaches of educational administration will be dealt with extensively.
- EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY
- This course aims to introduce undergraduate students of education to the study of educational philosophy. Introduction to the contemporary analyses of the major educational concepts, including the concept of education itself, is intended. Also a general introduction to the philosophy of education as a field of the study of education as it stands now is to be made. Some of the practical implications of the modern philosophical theories of education will be traced to the effect that students get clearer understanding of what a philosophy of education is for.
- EDUCATIONAL THEORIES OF UNIFICATION
- The object of this subject is cultivating ideas and world-view of unification , and thinking about unified education. That is, It enables us to recognize the importance of unification in unifying, to know about north-korea through education.
- INQUIRY INTO SCHOOLING AND EDUCATION
- This lecture is to help students to understand the nature, structure, value and characteristics of educational activities as a mode of life. Education has been happening in every corner of our life including schools, homes, and virtual worlds of computers. The lecture deals with such questions as what's the meaning of educational activities and as what's the value of educational activities? It will also tackle the logical origin of educational activities and the reason teaching /learning activities have been continued and cherished in the human history.
- THEORY OF LIFELONG EDUCATION
- Aim of this course is to investigate philosophy, the ideological feature, the system, and the contents of lifelong education which consists of family education, school education, and adult education.
- THEORY OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
- This course aims to understand the general theories and concepts of special education. The significance of special education, history of special education, main stream of special education, education of emotionally handicapped children, education of blind children & deaf children, education of mentally handicapped children, education of learninghandicapped children & language-handicapped children, and education of crippled children, weak children and gifted children will be introduced.
- ACTUAL AFFAIRS FOR TEACHING PROFESSION
- This course is for future teacher to understand actual affairs for teaching profession such as classroom management, teaching technique, guidance and counselling, processing official documents, etc.
- CHANGES IN FUTURE EDUCATION ENVIRONMENT AND TEACHERS
- ◦This is a subject that explores the various educational phenomena and problems faced by modern society based on various theories of pedagogy. ◦Therefore, in this subject we analyze and discuss theories and practices of educational issues and innovation in modern society in terms of educational philosophy, educational psychology, educational sociology, educational administration, guidance and school counseling. Furthermore, through the study of educational innovation cases in sub-sector areas such as curriculum, instructional design, lifelong education, and special education, we are going to broaden our understanding of new educational changes and innovations.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION METHODOLOGY
- This course is to pursue the methods applicable to the various activities of social education. Selecting & organizing of curriculum of social education, different teaching methods of social education, using methods of instructional media, organizing of learning group, and the theories and practices of program development which meets the need and interest of diverse people.
- EDUCATIONAL CURRICULUM
- This course emphasizes on general principles and procedures of construction, development and evaluation of school curriculum. Students are expected to develop a sense of reality with regard to the actual curriculum implementation in elementary and secondary schools.
- EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY
- A general introduction to the field, theories and professions of instructional technology. Studies the definitions of instructional technology, the history of the field, and the current trends and issues of the area. Students develop competencies in applying media and technologies to instruction.
- TEXTUAL STUDIES IN MORALS(ETHICS)&TEACHING METHODS
- This subject deals with analyzing the educational purposes and contents of morals and ethics textbooks as well as learning pedagogics and how to draft acaedmic guidance plans so that the students may acquire the specialized knowledge and characteristics required of future teachers of subject of morals and etics.
- STUDIES ON INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS IN EDUCATION
- This course is to study the subject matter of education in secondary school. In addition It deals with practical methods of teaching and guidance as a school teacher’s role, treating methods of office work etc. concretely. Main contents of this course are practices of teaching, planning methods of education, methods of teaching plan, and using methods of audio-visual materials.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- SCHOOL FIELD PRACTICE
- School field practice is a field education subject where students actually experience the roles and functions that teachers must perform in the secondary school. In this course,students can develop their preparatory skills as a teacher by accumulating practical experiences on overall school education such as teaching - learning guidance, life guidance, class management and so on through experiences in the field of education.
- INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN
- Instructional design(ID), a professional field of how to proceed instruction, is a blue print that prescribes an instructional activity in which particular instructional methods and strategies are applied for particular learning contents and particular learners. That is. ID is defined as a systematic activity and organizational procedure that makes the process of instruction optimal in order to increase the effects of the instruction. Thus, ID is concerned with understanding and in proving the process of teaching and learning and inquires various methodological principles to bring about learners desirable and expected changes in terms of knowledge and skills. ID is effectively applicable to such education needed appropriate instructional methods and strategies as schooling, corporate education, lifelong education, distance education, and adult education.
- ORIENTAL EDUCATION PHILOSOPHY
- In this course, we will study the understandings, of Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism-the representative ideas of the East-on man and education. We will also review the interrelationship between social change and education and go on to examine the significance of such education philosophies on modern education and the possibility for their application.
- THEORIES OF MORAL EDUCATION
- The course aims to take the make the students be familiar with contemporary approaches and theories of moral education. The approaches and theories with which will be mainly dealt are moral socialization of E. Durkheim, rational Utilitarianism of J. Wilson, values clarification of L. Raths, cognitive-developmental approach of L. Kohlberg, and so on. Besides, the students will investigate into objectives and methods of moral education and issues concerning moral education.
- LOGICAL THINKING AND WRITING ON EDUCATION
- This lecture aims to cultivate and improve student's ability to think important contemporary issues of education logically and critically and to write their opinion of them in a persuasive way. In the course, they will deal with how to think logically and philosophically, how to analyze assess and criticize implied assertions on the issues and how to make logical and persuasive statements by means of formal writings.
- CREATIVITY AND PERSONALITY EDUCATION IN FIELD
- This course deals with creativity and other personality that should be cultivated as a core competence in the field of education, and the practicality of teaching creativity and desirable character virtue based on educational field. To do this, students will learn about developmental theory and personality theory based philosophy, principles and methods of personality education.
- EDUCATIONAL ISSUES IN SCHOOL FIELD
- This is terminal course for educational administration offered in undergraduate school. Current practical issues and controversy in the theories and practices of educational policy will be dealt with extensively. In the real educational world, students will discuss how institutions and problems affect the school scene. Students presentations and active participations and active participations and discussions in class are required.
- PRACTICE OF LONGLIFE EDUCATION
- This course will experience lifelong education active plan, process, analysis, appraisement and teaching work in company of social education or Institute of social education This course is to provide prospective lifelong education's staff with experiencing the role & fuction of lifelong education's staff
- THEORIES AND PRACTICES OF ADOLESENT EDUCATION
- This course aims to deepen the understanding on adlescent problems, and to study the solutions on adolescent problems. And academic and practical theories concerning purposes, curriculums, methods of adolescent education will be argued too.
- EDUCATIONAL VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES
- This subject includes acting as assistant teachers in kindergartens or primary and middle schools, acting as teachers' helpers, or conducting volunteer work. The goal of the course is to help future educators foster the development of educational attainments.